An online community, resource center and search engine for New and Expectant Fathers Brand New Dad is a social network and resource center for New and Expectant Fathers, just like you! Register Now (Free) - and hit the forums, get exclusive special offers, and setup a personal wishlist.

Forums   Shop   Columns   Month by Month   Money

Username Password
Remember Me

Search for

Features
Baby Names
Pregnancy Calendar
Month By Month
Baby Resources
Doula Directory
Money & Finances
Columns & Blogs
Baby Shopping
Free Baby Stuff
Baby Cribs
Baby Shoes
Free Diapers
Jogging Strollers
Potty Training

All Brand New Dad Forums
 The First Few Months... Or Years...
 Newborns
 cosleeping
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Submit to Digg Submit to Digg
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Josh S

USA
11 Posts

Baby Arrived on 2/7/2007

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  13:41:14 Show Profile Visit Josh S's Homepage Reply with Quote
Hi! Do many people here cosleep with their baby? My LW and I would like to cosleep with the baby (who isn't due until February, by the way), but we're concerned because of our bed. We just got this new super comfy pillow-top mattress last year, and I've read that a baby's mattress should be relatively firm to help ensure against SIDS.

So, I guess my question is this: Has anyone else dealt with this problem? Do y'all think there might be some way we could cover the mattress with something to firm it up while the baby cosleeps? I really want to be able to cosleep, but I would never do it if it meant an increased risk to our baby.

newdad25

USA
42 Posts Baby Arrived on 9/25/2006

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  11:22:08 Show Profile Visit newdad25's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My LW and I recently purchased a very comfortable pillow-top also... we said that we weren't going to do the co-sleeping thing out of fear of rolling over on the baby, etc. However, every night so far, the baby starts off in its swing or the cosleeper and ends up in our bed, between us. I was surprised at how still we both were that night... I don't think I even moved much, didn't even have to brush my hair when I got up... lol.

The SIDS issue is a big concern for us, but as long as the baby is on its back and nestled between the two of you are in a sleep wedge, etc... I don't think it would be a problem sleeping on the pillow-top mattress.
Go to Top of Page

jrodpad

USA
74 Posts Baby Arrived on 7/18/2008

Posted - 10/25/2006 :  10:22:19 Show Profile Visit jrodpad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Josh,

Co-sleeping has been an unresolved issue for my wife and I since the birth of our daughter. My wife takes on the brunt of the nighttime care of the baby (exclusively breastfeeding), and thinks it would be far easier to care for the baby if the baby was sleeping in our bed, especially on the nights when the baby is up every hour. I also think that she wants to have the baby in our bed for comfort reasons as well. While I recognize both of these benefits as entirely legitimate, I still cannot get past my own fears of (a) smothering the baby by rolling on top of her, (b) the baby smothering herself by smashing her face into some pillows, the blankets, the mattress top, etc., and not being able to free herself to breathe, (c) the baby rolling onto the floor and braining herself, and (d) inflicting harm to the baby by hitting her when tossing and turning at night. To put a grim face on these fears, my sister has friends from college who had their 4 month old baby tragically die because the mother smothered the baby while they were both asleep (albeit on a sofa and not on a bed). I understand how rare this is, and that people all over the world co-sleep with their babies without incident, but I canít get past the possibility, however remote, that we might repeat my sisterís friendís mistake by taking the little one in bed with us. My wife and I have compromised by keeping a pack-n-play right next to the bed, where the baby sleeps between bumpers to prevent her from rolling around in the pack and play. This way, we donít have to worry about the smothering issues and the baby is still within armís reach. Iíve also promised to allow the baby to sleep with us once she is big enough that my concerns no longer come into play. Great post Ė I would love to see how other people deal with co-sleeping too.

Thanks.

-Jrod
Go to Top of Page

tber

1 Posts Baby Arrived on 10/22/2006

Posted - 10/31/2006 :  16:55:59 Show Profile Visit tber's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We decided not to co-sleep, because of all the fears, we just put the bassinet next to the bed, we also put the baby between us in bed before we put him in the bassinet for the night.
But the co-slepping does sound nice.
Go to Top of Page

nellie

24 Posts Baby Arrived on 1/8/1982

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  15:18:15 Show Profile Visit nellie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Co-sleeping has its advantages and disadvantages. I suggest you try what works for you.

:)Don't get kicked out of school! Click here to Check your papers for plagiarism http://www.ivyresearch.com/essaychecker

Edited by - nellie on 11/01/2006 15:19:10
Go to Top of Page

Steve Tanner

USA
2 Posts Baby Arrived on 2/13/2007

Posted - 02/18/2007 :  19:49:14 Show Profile Visit Steve Tanner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have you looked into the Arms Reach co-sleeper? It attaches to your bed, allowing mom to lean over and feed while protecting the baby from said fears while she sleeps (we have a daughter, 5 days old). So far, she's been sleeping between us in our bed; but the Arms Reach should alleviate your concerns.

They didn't pay me to say that or anything, by the way.

-s

quote:
[i]Originally posted by jrodpad[/i]
[br]Josh,

Co-sleeping has been an unresolved issue for my wife and I since the birth of our daughter. My wife takes on the brunt of the nighttime care of the baby (exclusively breastfeeding), and thinks it would be far easier to care for the baby if the baby was sleeping in our bed, especially on the nights when the baby is up every hour. I also think that she wants to have the baby in our bed for comfort reasons as well. While I recognize both of these benefits as entirely legitimate, I still cannot get past my own fears of (a) smothering the baby by rolling on top of her, (b) the baby smothering herself by smashing her face into some pillows, the blankets, the mattress top, etc., and not being able to free herself to breathe, (c) the baby rolling onto the floor and braining herself, and (d) inflicting harm to the baby by hitting her when tossing and turning at night. To put a grim face on these fears, my sister has friends from college who had their 4 month old baby tragically die because the mother smothered the baby while they were both asleep (albeit on a sofa and not on a bed). I understand how rare this is, and that people all over the world co-sleep with their babies without incident, but I canít get past the possibility, however remote, that we might repeat my sisterís friendís mistake by taking the little one in bed with us. My wife and I have compromised by keeping a pack-n-play right next to the bed, where the baby sleeps between bumpers to prevent her from rolling around in the pack and play. This way, we donít have to worry about the smothering issues and the baby is still within armís reach. Iíve also promised to allow the baby to sleep with us once she is big enough that my concerns no longer come into play. Great post Ė I would love to see how other people deal with co-sleeping too.

Thanks.

-Jrod

Go to Top of Page

jrodpad

USA
74 Posts Baby Arrived on 7/18/2008

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  11:27:08 Show Profile Visit jrodpad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just a quick follow-up: the co-sleeping issue still remains personally unresolved as a family matter 17 months later, nonetheless, our daughter has been sleeping in her room for a long time now. Even when we travel, the baby sleeps in a pack-and-play, albeit in our room.

I decided to write this quick post because there was an excellent article on the issue in the Times Ė

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/23/health/23well.html?pagewanted=2&ei=5087&em&en=5758670f0ceca03a&ex=1193371200

I want to agree with the author, however, I feel that the argument is entirely too one sided. I wish that more care was given to explaining the anti-co-sleeping argument and the SIDS risk. Notwithstanding the articleís shortcomings (in my opinion), itís nice to see that the issue is getting mainstream attention.

-Jrod
Go to Top of Page

ricoy5

USA
15 Posts Baby Arrived on 11/1/2007

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  23:54:50 Show Profile Visit ricoy5's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We are going on week 2 of life, and so far, Lily has not enjoyed sleeping in her by-the-bed-cradle.
However, she does like to sleep stomach-to-stomach, on one of our chests... I'm still a little afraid of SIDS, but skin to skin is her favorate sleeping position during the waking hours, and so far has never proved worrysome at night...

not to mention, we've been able to get 3 hours of sleep in a row, instead of one... very nice.

thoughts???
Go to Top of Page

Kelli

USA
2 Posts Baby Arrived on 2/1/1992

Posted - 12/30/2007 :  18:39:06 Show Profile Visit Kelli's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by ricoy5[/i]
[br]We are going on week 2 of life, and so far, Lily has not enjoyed sleeping in her by-the-bed-cradle.
However, she does like to sleep stomach-to-stomach, on one of our chests... I'm still a little afraid of SIDS, but skin to skin is her favorate sleeping position during the waking hours, and so far has never proved worrysome at night...

not to mention, we've been able to get 3 hours of sleep in a row, instead of one... very nice.

thoughts???

I love Kenneth
Go to Top of Page

Kelli

USA
2 Posts Baby Arrived on 2/1/1992

Posted - 12/30/2007 :  18:49:36 Show Profile Visit Kelli's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Josh S[/i]
[br]Hi! Do many people here cosleep with their baby? My LW and I would like to cosleep with the baby (who isn't due until February, by the way), but we're concerned because of our bed. We just got this new super comfy pillow-top mattress last year, and I've read that a baby's mattress should be relatively firm to help ensure against SIDS.

So, I guess my question is this: Has anyone else dealt with this problem? Do y'all think there might be some way we could cover the mattress with something to firm it up while the baby cosleeps? I really want to be able to cosleep, but I would never do it if it meant an increased risk to our baby.

Please excuse me for butting in to your forum. I first started reading this because my daughters husband is having some difficulties with newborn son and relationship issues.

Enough of why. I now feel compelled to reach any an all who read this. 16 years ago I lost my son to SIDS, you NEVER get over it. I have 5 kids and miss him as though he would have been an only child. (He was my only son) the sleep you may gain today by taking risks could never replace the sleepless yaers after burriing your own child. Remember (BACK TO SLEEP) swaddle your baby to get him/her to sleep less reslessly.

While I was in group therapy 16 years ago the director of the group was a pediatic doctor who had lost a son 2 yaers earlier while sleeping on his bear chest. Stomache to stomache. DON'T RISK IT. EVER. All babies are angels sent to us from GOD.

My daughter has named my new grandson Kenneth after my son. He is a joy and beautiful.

My only hope is that this post will save at least one life. the hard thing is we will never know, because potential sids babies don't wear a badge

I love Kenneth
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Submit to Digg Submit to Digg
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000

Brand New Dad provides general information and is designed for educational purposes only.
If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other healthcare professional.
Please review the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy before using this site. Your use of the site indicates your agreement to be bound by the Terms of Service.

Copyright © 2003-2014 Brand New Dad